Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:32:44 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> All I expect is a reasonable chance for others to coordinate.  This is
>> like shipping a power cord with a new plug style before announcing the
>> matching standard for the socket where you are supposed to plug it in.
>
> No new plug standard is ever finalized before a few companies try to
> manufacture it. Manufacturers are not stupid. They do exactly the same
> as xorg: a new design is prepared in common by interested parties,
> they agree among themselves it's almost cooked, some or all of them
> try to create products with it, the feedback from those first runs is
> used to correct problems on the design, and then the final "standard"
> and shipping products are announced at about the same time. And then
> sometimes market pressure means some of the first series are shipped
> before the standard is 100% finalized (that's for real hardware
> products, with real material distribution logistics problems, not
> something you can slap on a web site in 30s).
>
> Only very stupid engineers commit to a standard before any line of
> code or any product series was started. You're blinding yourself. Xorg
> did nothing wrong.

I don't have a problem with Xorg taking any amount of time they want.
The problem is in fedora shipping a pre-release - or perhaps even more
so in their claim of knowing that the ABI is finalized before it is in
fact published as a standard.

> Nvidia is late to the party (as usual) and you're
> gullible enough to believe its cartoon-level excuses.

I believe in release numbers.  If it is really ready, make it official.
  If not, don't ship it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com