Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed May 21 19:08:46 UTC 2008

Erich Zigler wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Had Fedora not released with the new Xorg
>> ABI nvidia would probably still not be actively working on it yet.
>
> Actually development looks like it started before Fedora 9 released:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111460

Yes, but my point is that it was pushed forward due to the impending release of
Fedora 9 and otherwise probably would not have been started until another distro
released with the xserver changes.  NVIDIA is not going to do a driver update
only because the xorg server releases; they will do it when/if a release is
adopted by a popular distribution.  That pattern has been well established over
the last 6-8 years.

Also, the 173.08 beta driver wasn't even really targeted at xserver 1.5 since it
still didn't have the abi marked supported.  It just happens to partially work,
for some graphics cards (and not for alot of them).

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29