vanilla-kernel (was: Re: Plan for tomorrows (20080522) FESCO meeting)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu May 22 08:24:52 UTC 2008

On 21.05.2008 21:33, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:20:39 -0300
> Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On May 21, 2008, Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> Inclusion in Fedora (future and recent past releases) of the
>> kernel-libre package, a 100% Free Software variant of the kernel
>> Linux, that I've been maintaining tracking Fedora kernel builds at
>> http://www.fsfla.org/~lxoliva/fsfla/linux-libre/
> We've had this discussion.  We aren't going to allow a forked kernel
> package.   Please work with the kernel team to integrate this into the
> main kernel package.

Slightly related to this and maybe relevant for the -libre discussion:

Dave, what's the status of the "precompiled vanilla kernel rpms" for
Fedora? There was the idea to put them in the unusual Fedora repos
(which I'd prefer) or in a dedicated repo on your people pages. Was it
forgotten? To many technical hurdles? -ENOTIME? Or do we stick to the
"build one yourself using rpmbuild and the magic flag if you need one"
solution?

Just wondering.

CU
knurd