Plan for tomorrows (20080522) FESCO meeting

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at unil.ch
Thu May 22 14:27:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 06:55:58 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> Here's the proposed feature I've just drafted up:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraFreedom

/me rambles a bit...

Unless I'm mistaken, I assume such a libre system will run on ix86 and
x86_64 machines.  As far as I understand, nobody has a GPL'd version of
those processors, nor a choice to hack on their "source" code and
distribute changes...

There is no real distinction between what is hardware
and what is software.  It is more like a continuum between the two,
and firmware, as its name implies, lies somewhere between hard- and
soft-ware.

To make a long story short, we need to draw a line somewhere between
where we require GPL'd source code, and where we do not.  That line is
defined in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/LicensingGuidelines#BinaryFirmware

I think it is a laudable goal to move that line as close to having
GPL'd hardware as possible, but as others have mentioned, I think this
means working with upstream kernel to get to a point where you feel
you have all the liberty you expect from the kernel in Fedora.

CHF 0.02...

Cheers,
					Christian