Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu May 22 17:52:58 UTC 2008

Christopher Stone wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
>> If it is so easy, why don't you do it in your own repo?  Fedora is a
>> fully open distribution; all the necessary tools are there.
>
> Should I make an assumption that you mean to say rpm is not a
> "regular" tool.  Sure, you would have to add some documentation on how
> to install it by first uninstalling X.  It's not so much compatibility
> and support, but more a matter of convenience.

You have yet to explain how doing this effort, rebuilding the f8 xorg and
hosting it in updates-testing for f9... is going to change IN ANY WAY the method
you must follow for downgrading Xorg on F9.  The version numbers are still going
to be lower than the F9 xorg unless you deliberately break everything sane about
rpm versioning in order to force them to upgrade.

Insisting that those rpms need rebuilt and specifically hosted for f9 is
stupidity.  Downgrading xorg using the current F8 rpms works just fine.  It
takes exactly the same effort as attempting to downgrade xorg using rpms with a
silly .fc9 in their name.  You download rpms, you install them, you prevent them
from getting updated by f9 rpms.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29