Plan for tomorrows (20080522) FESCO meeting

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu May 22 18:00:42 UTC 2008

On May 22, 2008, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks!  The Packaging Committee and kernel maintainers will have to
> look into what's going on here.  Although that doesn't address your
> larger issue of binary firmware.

Indeed, it doesn't.  I don't think there are very many of these
firmwares that are licensed in such obnoxious terms.  But it's
certainly not the only example of this kind of problem.

The nouveau-drm patches that we're adding ourselves contain relatively
large chunks of "voodoo" [sic] code copied from non-Free drivers by
means of mmio dumps, but no copyright notices or licensing associated
specifically to those pieces of code.  As much as I appreciate what
these folks are doing, I'm not sure this approach is ethical, let
alone legal.  I don't know whether this has been run through legal,
but if it hasn't, I suggest that it be.