New system-config-acpid

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri May 23 11:31:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:18 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
> 2008/5/23 Trond Danielsen <trond.danielsen at gmail.com>:
>
> > I think this is a great thing because it makes my laptop behave as it
> > should even if I am not currently logged in (suspend when battery is
> > low, power management etc.).
>
> You shouldn't need a full "desktop environment" for that. It's been like this:

It's only misinformed people who say there's a "full desktop
environment" there.

> Hey, let's make all these important things like managing wireless
> connectivity be done on the user's desktop.
> Hey, let's make all this stuff work in the login manager by pretending
> someone's logged in.
>
> ... why not just make the stuff work without requiring
> desktop-oriented tools to be running as part of a login session?
> Suspending should be handled "behind the scenes".

It's already behing the scenes. Just that the policy belongs in
gnome-power-manager, which will show us a nice battery icon for us.

Would you want to rewrite gnome-power-manager instead of using a cut
down version?

We also need a background wallpaper, and sound for accessibility
reasons, as well as a keyboard layout switcher so we let
gnome-settings-daemon handle those. There might be a few windows popping
up, so we could rewrite a smaller window manager (which we'd need to
debug, and fix separately, or we use metacity instead.

It's not a full desktop environment, it's cut-down versions of the
software in the desktop, and only carefully selected software is run.