Plan for tomorrows (20080522) FESCO meeting

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri May 23 19:00:04 UTC 2008

On May 23, 2008, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 14:19 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On May 23, 2008, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Hence the suggestion to make the firmware loader capable of having a
>> > built-in set of blobs.
>>
>> Now, the part of your plan that I'm still missing is how to get from
>> that to a blob-free GPLed kernel source tarball.  Care to share?

> First we get to a point where the blobs exist separately in the kernel
> and _can_ be easily removed. The korg1212 sound driver patch was just
> the first of many, and someone will need to finish the job.

Understood.

I see one of your patches simply renames a .h to a .c and makes the
blob a built-in firmware.

Any reason to not have moved it to the firmware/ dir, as I expected
from looking at your patches?

rm -rf firmware/ is so much simpler :-)

> When that's done, we can have a sensible discussion upstream about
> moving them to a separate tarball.

Hard to have a sensible discussion when what's obvious to one is
ridiculous to the other, and vice-versa.  (And, just to avoid
misunderstandings, I don't mean you or Alan to be neither "one" or
"other" in the previous sentence :-)

> And as I said -- even if upstream baulks at that last step, I'd
> support Fedora doing it on our own.

So that we'd have our own linux-libre?  Sounds like a plan.