Packaging Firefox extensions (Finnish spell checking)

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Sat May 24 18:13:08 UTC 2008

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Don't confuse the dictionary with the backend.  So far I haven't seen a
> reason why the hunspell backend couldn't support Finnish as well as
> malaga if people would simply work on a dictionary for that backend
> instead. I think it is important to note our strong desire for making it
> work with hunspell.  We went through great lengths to make hunspell THE
> dictionary.  See
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDictionary which this
> would now regress.

Noted, I can also mention this discussion in the Voikko mailing list. I wasn't
even following the Voikko project at 2006 when this decision was apparently
made, I also don't know the code well enough to discuss the differences in
detail.

I know about FeatureDictionary and I have talked about Voikko, which is
already in Fedora anyway, with Caolan, among others. At this point the thing
is though, either we have very good Finnish spell checking in Fedora with
Voikko or we don't have any Finnish spell checking at all.

Right now, as far as I can see, the Voikko project is lacking manpower for
such drastic changes as changing the backend. They are doing a good job
improving the current codebase in small steps, however.

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio