ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sun May 25 18:56:07 UTC 2008

What are the near term plans for ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs?  I am specifically
thinking of the F10/F11 time frame (the next year).

I assume that the long term plan (goal) is to have a single package which does
everything "right" which is currently done by the combination of ntfs-3g and
ntfsprogs.

My understanding (it may be incorrect) is that ntfs-3g is a fork of ntfsprogs
and was forked because ntfsprogs was not moving quickly enough to supported
needed functionality (e.g., full, reliable read/write support).  Well,
ntfsprogs has now been updated (version 2.0) to provide the functionality in
ntfs-3g and this is the version in F9 (F8 still has the old ntfsprogs).

Will ntfs-3g be dropped in F10 or F11?  If ntfs-3g is dropped, will ntfsprogs
packaging do anything to provide easy compatibility (e.g., library symlinks).

If ntfsprogs now provides the needed functionality and reliability, then I
assume that all software under current maintenance/development which needs
ntfs support should be using ntfsprogs.  Correct??

Gene