2.6.26-0.25.rc3.git4 or VirtualBox ?

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Mon May 26 06:29:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:26:09 -0400
sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 May 2008 16:47:39 -0400
> > sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using VirtualBox to run rawhide.
> >>
> >> kernel-2.6.26-0.25.rc3.git4.fc10.i686 locks up hard with:
> >>
> >> unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000246
> >>
> >> 2.6.25.3-18 works fine.
> >
> > I wouldn't call it  "fine";
> > VirtualBox is one of the top causes of kernel oopses that we're
> > seeing on Linux right now... I'm not surprised it's not working
> > well with 2.6.26 either.
> >

> "fine" means it WFM. It does all I ask.
>
> I'm certainly not a vbox fanatic. In fact, I've only been using it
> for a couple of days. That's why I posted: is this a vbox problem, or
> a kernel issue.

you're probably seeing:

http://www.kerneloops.org/search.php?search=g_abExecMemory

which a lot of other folks are seeing, so much so that this is in the
top 15 of all kernel oopses/warnings reported in the last week.

Given the backtrace and the high frequency of this thing, I'm pretty
sure it's a VirtualBox bug.