F9 Live USB IO Errors

Mary Ellen Foster foster at in.tum.de
Mon May 26 14:26:14 UTC 2008

2008/5/26 Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>:
>> I've made some live USB sticks with persistent overlays for a few
>> people.  3 of the people have now told me that they can no longer boot
>> as they get IO errors with what looks like corrupted filesystems.  Has
>> this happened to anyone else?  The USB sticks were a variety of 1 GB and
>> 2 GB models from various manufacturers and I've never had any issues
>> with them before.
>
> Well, it happened to me, but after I pressed the "reset" button while doing
> a massive yum install (the computer was frozen while playing with Compiz
> during the install). (as a matter of fact, that happened to me twice, don't
> remember why I used reset the second time).

That happened once, and I assumed I'd overrun the size of the overlay
-- didn't investigate further. Is there a check of any sort to make
sure you don't overflow? There didn't used to be in the livecd-to-iso
installer, and that would certainly corrupt file systems ...

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster -- http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
Informatik 6: Robotics and Embedded Systems, Technische Universität München