ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at ntfs-3g.org
Mon May 26 20:07:47 UTC 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa <at> redhat.com> writes:

> ntfsprogs is not really maintained these days, but it provides utilities
> that ntfs-3g does not intend to implement in the near term.

It only depends on users' and developers' interest. Ntfs-3g did
implement, improved and fixed many ntfsprogs utilities in the last
six years (ntfsresize, ntfsclone, mkntfs, ntfsfix, vista compatibility,
etc). And we do plan to include stable versions of at least the most
important ones in NTFS-3G in the next 2-4 months (mkfs, fsck, label,
resize, clone, image, restore, info, debug, cmp).

Currently we're using a stable, old CVS ntfsprogs version between
1.13.1 and 2.0.0 which is essential for the NTFS-3G quality assurance
and regression testing. Porting and validation of the tools and all
the tests on http://ntfs-3g.org/quality.html takes quite a lot of
time and close attention not to introduce reliability problems.

Regards,   Szaka

--
NTFS-3G: http://ntfs-3g.org