Fedora project: making a website with Fedora-Free music

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue May 27 09:55:29 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Today I've been discussing with upstream replacing some non free music with
Free music, as I need to do often when packaging games (in this case Lost
Labyrinth).

I have been thinking recently about how convenient it would be to have a
website where one can browse all known Fedora-Free (as in can be part of Fedora
under the content Licensing guidelines) music.

The Fedora package collection already contains quite a bit of music. Some put
in -music packages because its in ogg format and thus quite large, but also
quite a few modtracker and midi format songs, which are much smaller and
sometimes even hidden away in .wad / .dat files.

Thus I want to make a website with:
-Unpacked (as in click on it and it will play) versions of all music included
  in Fedora, sorted by format and license, and preferably also catogorised by
  genre.

-Links to other website which contain all Free, or clearly marked partially
  Free music.

  The first website which comes mind for the links section is the excellent:
  http://www.dogmazic.net/

So now I need 2 things
1) Free (as in gratis) hosting, with lots of diskspace and potentially quite
    some bandwidth usage.

2) Someone to help me build the website, the last time I've done php / html was
    in 1999 :)

1) Is the most urgent without 2 I'll just create a few folders like this:

    mod
    mod/GPL
    mod/CC-xx
    mod/CC-Nd-xx
    midi
    midi/GPL
    midi/CC-xx
    midi/CC-Nd-xx
    ogg
    ogg/GPL
    ogg/CC-xx
    ogg/CC-Nd-xx
    links
    links/index.html (good old html-1.0 list with links)

And use apache's dir listing as html generator :) I know this is crude, but it
still beats not having any central place to checkout all the music already in
Fedora at all by a long shot.

Regards,

Hans