Fedora 10 and flash?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue May 27 11:34:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I must share this report with you.
> I don't use Ubuntu but I installed it on one PC in a lab for students
> and kids to learn using it (we have half Fedora and half Ubuntu lab).
> I opened Firefox and went to www.redhatmagazine.com and immediately I
> got a pop up window with a choice to install Adobe Flash, Swhdec or
> Gnash plugin. I was amazed how well this worked and that I had a
> choice to pick any one plugin that I believe it better.
> I know about Fedora's upstream mentality but I must take my hat to
> Ubuntu devels for making their "Ubuntu plugin service" work great. I
> know that this is what Mozilla should have made but with their track
> for supporting linux isn't the best one.

Are you volunteering to create the necessary firefox extension and the
plugin finder service implementation which mimics what Ubuntu is
doing?  Can you find the code that implements the service as they
provide it for review?  Until we know how they do it, and what data
they use to do it, we don't really have a starting point worth talking
about as to whether we can do what they do.  I would have some
concerns about running a central Fedora service, because any service
Fedora would run would not be able to point at or reference a 3rd
party repository at all..which would sort of defeat the point i think.

I've also already had conversations with upstream Mozilla people
concerning enhancing the upstream plugin finder... upstream
contribution is welcome... its just a matter of people working with
them.

I'm not even sure we would need to run a service actually, if a client
side firefox extension could intercept the plugin request and
translate it into a packaging provides to send to packagekit.  This is
something to bring up with the packagekit developers.

Regardless of whether this was upstream code or a Fedora specific
extension or service...
someone who cares about this would need to step forward to work on it
or it's not going to go anywhere.

-jef