Announcing a new F-10 Feature Proposal: Better Webcam Support

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue May 27 12:09:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>
>> wrote:

>>> No list atm, noteworthy closed source ones are flash (adobe version) and
>>> skype. Opensource v4l1 viewers I know about are camomara, spcaview. But
>>> quite a few v4l2 apps also don't work with all v4l2 cams due to not
>>> supporting all needed colorformats, examples of these are for example
>>> xawtv
>>> and luvcview.
>>>
>>> I must say my primary focus at the moment is getting drivers cleaned up
>>> and
>>> merged in the mainline, but the userspace side of things definetely needs
>>> work too.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hans
>>
>> Is there something that Fedora users with few webcams that aren't
>> recognised under Fedora because of non-existing drivers can do to
>> help? Is there some way that we can give you feedback about webcams we
>> have so that they get supported? I know that that is a lame question
>> but I had to ask it.
>>

> Well, there always is a chance it is supported but the usb id isn't
> registered as such yet, do you know which usb controller / bridge the webcam
> uses and which ccd sensor? Otherwise try installing the windows drivers
> (under wine for example) and look through the .inf files / use strings on
> the binaries for hints.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Thank you Hans,
I have opened them so I can see the chips and models of web cams. I
googled them before and found that there are no drivers that work for
them in Linux. Usb is working ok because it recognizes other usb
devices and it recognised that something got connected...

Cheers,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/