Suggestion with respect to the Fedora Update System

G balajig81 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 08:33:08 UTC 2008

Hi

I got the following mail from Fedora updates. It says "The following
package has been moved to stable from testing". The Karma value
corresponding to this package is still zero (mentioned in the below
thread). Correct me if i am wrong, if the value reaches 3 its moved to
stable, thats how i understood it.  I gave a comment for that package
that i am not able to test it because i was not aware what needs to be
tested for that enhancement.

Apart from this i ve an other problem. Suggestions and Comments
Welcome for this problem :) .
I browse through the Fedora Updates repository to start testing
packages which are under the fedora testing branch, but for some of
the packages, i see that its given as an enhancement (like the below
one) but i am not able to go ahead testing it because it does not
specifiy whats the enhnacement is about. I did notice that there are
some bug fixes too made which has got the word "bugfix" but does not
map to a Bug ID i.e, the Bug ID is not mentioned in the updates. It
becomes diffficult to test those packages and give appropriate and
correct feedback.I shouldnt give back a report saying that it works or
it does not work which might be a wrong test result because i might be
testing something but the fix would be for something else.

I would really appreciate if you all could help me with a suggestion
on this. I went a step ahead by raising a ticket in the bodhi system
so that we could have a field in the updates system where in when a
packager uploads the packages, a mandatory field on whats fixed if its
a bug fix could be stated and if its an enhanement , a small note on
what the enhancement is. Will this suggestion work ?

This would really help people testing packages from the bodhi
repository and thereby make Fedora a real rock solid distro.

Thanks for reading this . Hope people don't mistake me for this :)

Cheers,
Balaji