Hylafax review issues

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat May 31 19:08:25 UTC 2008

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> HdG> Well the question here IMHO is not so much how to name the
> HdG> package as it is which fork to package, making them parallel
> HdG> installable will be very hard todo and AFAIK we don't want
> HdG> conflicting packages.
>
> I agree that it would be very difficult to make them able to be
> installed at the same time, but if the hylafax authors or some other
> interested party decided to submit their software I don't see why we'd
> turn them away just because someone who forked their package decided
> not to change the name of the binaries.
>
> HdG> I believe that hylafax+ best fits Fedora.
>
> I don't see any point in attempting to decide which of many choices
> fits Fedora; hylafax+ is simply the only one that's been submitted.
>
> For comparison, Debian and Ubuntu don't seem to ship hylafax+; they
> ship hylafax and in addition split the package into -client, -server
> and -doc subpackages (which may be worth considering here).
>
> Gentoo has ebuilds for both hylafax and hylafax+ named accordingly.
>
> I'm not sure how to check Suse.
>
> Also of some importance, I think, is the fact that you can visit
> hylafax.org and download source and binary packages for Fedora (up to
> F7 at least) and they're named, you guessed it, "hylafax".  I've no
> clue why they haven't submitted them to Fedora proper, but the folks
> who do (or maybe sponsor) that packaging work actually request that
> the hylafax+ package be named "hylafax+".
> http://www.hylafax.org/content/Fedora_Packages

Hmm, I don't see them requesting that anywhere, or have you been in direct
contact with them?

Anyways, yes there are some arguments to call the package hylafax+. to be
honest, here is whats in my mind the best solution:
call hylafax+ package hylafax+
call hylafax original package (if we get one ever) hylafax.org

Don't call any package ever hylafax as with all the forks thats to ambigious.

Make hylafax+ provide hylafax for easy install, dunno what todo if we get a
hylafax.org too, but lets worry about that later. Now we need to sell this to
the submitter of the package though.

Regards,

Hans