Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:13:19 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:

> No, it doesn't, which is exactly my point... the harder, or more
> explicitly, anything must be done to distribute proprietary software...
> the more likely it will be done with a shell script which spews files
> all over the place.
>
> You don't get proprietary software to work nicely with package
> management systems by making it even harder.

Would you mind leaving the 'p' word out of this discussion?  The same
principle applies to all software that isn't recompiled and repackaged
between every version, including the user's own and other programs where
source is available but you don't want to have to rebuild (if we did
want to recompile every week we'd be running gentoo...).  Pretending
this is specific to proprietary software puts the wrong spin on the
conversation here.  The only difference being proprietary  makes in this
case is that someone else needs to do this work and probably maintain
specific versions separately for each fedora version instead of every
using doing that himself.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com