Multilib Middle-Ground

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu May 1 13:45:09 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:

> Well what should happen is flash is pulled from Adobe's own repo, and
> since they're pulling from a repo anyway, yum should do what its
> designed to do and pull in all the i386 deps flash needs in the same
> transaction. There's no need for it to be in the default install or on
> the install media, as far as flash is concerned.

I was not even referring to Flash this time.  An even larger problem
from stripping i386 from a x86_64 default install is you don't get i386
Input Method support.  A great many 32bit software stops working
properly, the user has no idea why, and there is no simple yum
groupinstall command capable of fixing this.

Your naive suggestion fails in this case, because there is no way you
will get all of that 3rd party software to have deps on all possible
language packages.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com