F9 installation screenshot

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu May 1 17:59:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 16:57 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 30 avril 2008 à 20:03 -0400, Matthew Saltzman a écrit :
>
> > IIRC (maybe someone who was there can correct me), back in the early
> > days of Red Hat Linux (like 3.0.3 or something), the first experiment in
> > i18n was to create the Redneck locale (was it Donnie Barnes who was the
> > Carolina native who was the target of that little joke?).  The staff
> > thought it was amusing enough that they left it in as a language option
> > in the installer, so you saw all the dialog boxes translated from
> > English to Redneck.
> >
> > I (transplanted Yankee) thought it was kind of amusing at the time, but
> > I suppose it doesn't really have a place in a polished, professional,
> > worldwide distro.
>
> The joke and even the cooked-up locale were fine. Calling attention to
> them in later release image trains was not. Like it or not but a core
> argument for Linux adoption outside the USA is to stop sending vast sums
> of money abroad to big American proprietary software houses. Insisting
> heavily on an American Fedora personality in our initial screens is thus
> self defeating (that is probably one reason Debian kicks our asses in
> all the government-sponsored non-US Linux desktop deployments BTW).

Maybe I'm just insensitive, but I haven't noticed too much US-centric
stuff on the installer pages (other than the fact that, until you select
a language, the messages are in US English).  Really obvious chauvinism
annoys me, too.  I'll have to try to see the F9 installer through your
eyes.

But if the option is no longer there, then one might conclude that RH
has caught on to your point.

> Just read the grass-root reports on big Linux deployments that get
> regularly posted on Fedora planet (and other venues). Keeping money
> locally is always the first argument. When localisation, support for non
> latin scripts, and having a non-US-centric solution isn't.
>
> > My spell-checker is complaining about some of your 's''s 8^).
>
> That's probably because your spell-checker does not know my messages use
> the British English dialect.

That's settable with a checkbox.  It complained about the French, too.
But it did display the accent on the e in "écrit".

Your smiley detector appears to be off...

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu