Multilib Middle-Ground

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Thu May 1 20:54:39 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>> Stripping of pathname-based and package-name based dependencies I can
>>> understand, but not the library deps.
>>
>> Are they the same across all RPM based systems?
>
> Yes, they are and the third party packages have no excuse if they are
> deliberately disabling the automatic dependency mechanisms.

It's not that simple. VMware does this for a simple reason: they want a
single RPM that works on *all* distros. Essentially it's like static
linking (except they don't, they just ship their own dependencies).
VMware would otherwise have fairly complex dependencies (gtkmm comes to
mind) that would force them to provide probably a different RPM for each
<distro,version> pair... There's simply no easy way to distribute
closed-source softare for Linux, as we all know.