Multilib Middle-Ground

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu May 1 22:49:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:14 PM, max bianco <maximilianbianco at gmail.com> wrote:
>  What an intelligent stance to take, this is an open project isn't it?

it was a bit tongue and cheek and very much a hollow threat meant to
give Les pause to consider what it means to be a constructive
participant in a dialog by providing an illustration as to where being
destructive can lead.  If I actually did that, would I still have the
respect of others in the community when I myself put a proposal
forward... extremely doubtful. I haven't work as hard as I have to
move things forward just to burn through my good will to harass one
poisonous person who is a drag on the process.  But just thinking
about doing it is a rush I haven't felt since that one year when I
found my Christmas presents early and then unwrapped and rewrapped
them to see what I got.   But I don't really have the luxury to be
selfish any longer, wallowing around in my own desires to 'win'
pointless arguments with people.
What Fedora as a community needs to achieve is too important for me to
indulge in petty bickering. But I tell you honestly... Les's inability
to answer my question straight forwardly brings out my desire to
retort with passionate displeasure, as I'm somewhat sure it does to
other people.

But technically speaking, there's nothing stopping me from being as
irrational as other people on this thread have been, nor is there
anything stopping other people from ignoring me once I decide to go
around making a delibrate effort to be unconstructive. Openness does
not automatically make participants in the process intelligent,
rational, constructive nor honest.  These are all personal
characteristics which we as individuals must choose to bring to a
discussion.   Nor does openness mandate that everyone be forced to
listen to everyone else with equal weight. We each individually have
to continually earn the respect of others in an open process or else
we lose our seat at the table. Les is on the verge of losing his
unless he makes and effort to rein in the vitriol and hyperbole and
find something constructive to say.

-jef"i need more coffee"spaleta