is xorg.conf still needed

dwight at supercomputer.org dwight at supercomputer.org
Fri May 2 03:12:36 UTC 2008

On Thursday 01 May 2008 10:52:35 am Callum Lerwick wrote:
> http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/var_0.html
>
> GNOME is working on a front end:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/OnlineDesktop
>
> And Red Hat is integrating it all:
>
> http://mugshot.org/
>
> If you're expecting roadmaps and plans, you're going to be
> disappointed. This is new territory, just being discovered. Who's
> in charge? Whoever gets there first.

I think you're confusing Stateless Linux with Stateless Linux
Desktop. You might want to check out the Fedora Wiki regarding
Stateless Linux, and see what it's actually about. It covers
quite a bit more than just the Desktop.

Google and Gnome are notably absent from the project. Granted, the
Wiki might be out of date, as the Fedora Stateless Linux project
seems to be rather dead, with no mail even being generated on its
mailing list of late.

The key point of interest to me is that that there are a number of
issues which remain in Fedora's current Stateless Linux
implementation even before you get to the Desktop, or any other apps
which are built on top of the Stateless Linux functionality.

Personally, I could care less about the Desktop or Google Apps in
this particular regard. I'm more interested in getting the basic
O.S. issues solved.

If you do it right, you can kill several important birds with one
stone. But it's not there yet.

It also strikes me as being relatively straightforward towards
ironing out these issues (and yes, I'll volunteer to do some of the
work). But I'm not going to spend time on it if someone else is
doing it. Or if my interpretation of what needs to be done isn't in
sync with the general project.

Nor if Stateless Linux (not Stateless Desktop) is dead, and has no
future.

   -dwight-