Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 2 19:52:59 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>>  Yeah, I understand; but jpackage also became the go-to place for
>>  unbreaking the proprietary JDK installs, which I don't think Fedora is
>>  very interested in doing in the core distro.
>

> Speaking as the physical manifestation of Fedora 'spirit'... I know
> I'm not interested in putting in hacks into our repository that smooth
> over the problems.   I see the value in the nosrc implementation that
> jpackage has provided, but I'm not particularly interested in seeing
> those slip into Fedora's main repository.

It just seems very wrong to include packages with dependencies on a jdk
with no way to make a specification-compliant jdk provide them.

> That being said, there's no
> reason we can't have an open dialog with vendors about packaging best
> practices so the packages they offer to Fedora users don't need nosrc
> hacks.  The only long term fix lies with the vendors taking
> responsibility to work inside the packaging system and being willing
> to talk about what their problems are.

Or arrange the distribution so it doesn't vary from release to release
and need version-specific hacks.  In which case anything jpackage.org
had ever done would still work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com