Multilib Middle-Ground

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 2 20:33:14 UTC 2008

Jason Corley wrote:
> Really?  No excuse at all?
>    http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/pkgdepend.html
> Granted the VMware example is not LSB conformant, but the LSB Core
> spec specifically says:
>    "Packages shall not depend on other system-provided dependencies."

Tell me again about insane specifications. There is a good reason pretty
much no ISV follows them. VMWare cannot possibly use LSB as a excuse if
they aren't certified and they can't be because LSB hasn't standardized
a number of dependencies that they require. See a cycle?

> Which brings up the following question: Does anyone in Fedora-land
> actually work with the LSB?  I see the redhat-lsb package in the
> distro which would seem to imply conformance, but I also see a lot of
> opinions like the above expressed as hard fact that clearly fly in the
> face of what the LSB mandates.

There is no effort to afaik.

Rahul