Fedora and JPackage proprietary JDK shims

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat May 3 00:41:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Yes, as in what pretty much all existing large projects use.  I actually
> haven't investigated this much beyond OpenNMS and would be happy to hear
> otherwise about opengrok, alfresco, openfire, spark etc.

OpenGrok is in Fedora.  We actually use openfire on the Mugshot
servers which are running OpenJDK 6, though we have some
modifications.

>  Do you have some examples of large and useful things like those above? I
> suppose jboss should be the canonical example.

Besides the above, just look at all of the Java software in Fedora and
JPackage now.  Pretty much all of it should be JDK 6 compatible.

> > Really...it's in a lot of FAQs, etc.
> >

>  Are any of them fedora-hosted where a user would likely look for this
> information?

Not "officially", but:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#java

Anyways, what I'm saying is that largely the Fedora Java efforts are
focused around OpenJDK 6+, and over time as those remaining projects
fix their software the need for what you're asking for should go away.