Multilib Middle-Ground

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat May 3 03:49:32 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>> There never was a trap - just some lies about one.
>>
>> You clearly haven't understood what Free Software is about.
>
> It's not that I don't understand, I just don't agree that it is the only
>  way.  Or that anything with an interface spec can ever be a trap

Except that Sun Java itself has internal non-standard and undocumented
com.sun* interfaces and programs relying on it won't work on GCJ or
necessarily even between different revisions of the same JVM. Pretty
much ever major vendor using Java has their own VM that is atleast in
part incompatible with each other: Sun, Oracle, BEA, IBM ...

Rahul