Fedora and JPackage proprietary JDK shims

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat May 3 06:03:32 UTC 2008

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
>> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>  Not sure, but I bet the "shim" is the java-sun-compat package that lets
>>>  you install the Sun RPM, then sets up alternatives and other
>>> symlinks to
>>>  make the expected incantations work.  That is not a nosrc package,
>>>  though it may have no actual source.  It depends on the Sun RPM from
>>>  java.sun.com.
>>
>> Yeah, that's what was under discussion, or at least it's what I
>> thought Les wanted.
>>
> I know Les mentioned the nosrc rpms in the same email as he complained
> that Fedora wasn't shipping something that he felt was necessary for
> java-on-Fedora.  So I thought it best to have that clarified.

Yes the java-sun-compat package is the missing piece.  Whether it's
actually included in fedora or not isn't particularly important, but its
location should be documented and there have been long intervals of time
when no jpackage.org support existed for current fedora revisions. My
impression was that this was intentional on fedora's part but perhaps
that was mistaken.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com