Apt autoupdates

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Sun May 4 08:05:50 UTC 2008

* Suren Karapetyan <surenkarapetyan at gmail.com> [20080503 20:51]:
> Anders Karlsson wrote:
>> I was under the impression that this is what 'pinning' packages was
>> available for. I don't see this as a bug but as expected
>> behaviour. After all, we do expect yum and it's tools up update
>> all available packages unless we tell it not to.
>>
>> Now, if the packages were pinned, and the update script went ahead and
>> updated them anyway, that would be a bug.
>
> We expect "yum update" to update all packages.
> But we (or at least me) don't expect yum (nor even yum-updatesd) to update
> all packages nightly by default.
> Agree about pinning, but pinning doesn't work well for rawhide cause
> especially during the first half of rawhide development I would have 50%+
> packages pinned.
> I have only one PC at home so it needs to be at least remotely stable :)

I am not 100% sure, as I don't currently have a Debian based system to
check with, but from memory, this is what a Debian based system
does, have a cronjob that does the nightly updates. If so, the apt
package in Fedora just does what upstream (Debian) does, and we track
upstream closely, right?

The setting in /etc/sysconfig/apt would be something simple to carry a
separate patch for though. I'll shut up now. :)

/Anders