augeas - reading/modifying/writing system configuration files

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Mon May 5 14:44:16 UTC 2008

David Timms wrote:
> Harald Hoyer wrote:
>> _What is augeas?_
>>
>> From: http://augeas.net/
>>
>> Augeas is a configuration editing tool. It parses configuration files
>> in their native formats and transforms them into a tree. Configuration
>> changes are made by manipulating this tree and saving it back into
>> native config files.
>> _Why should I switch my tool to use augeas?_
>>
>> * not to reinvent the wheel
>> * one source to rule them all
>>
> * expect it to be included by default in f10+ {and el6+} ?

will be in rawhide soon and thus in F10

> * expect it to become one of the mock build root packages ?

why should it be? BuildRequires ftw

> Why not ?
> - is it a large library ?

$ ls -lh /usr/lib64/libaugeas.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 110K 2008-05-05 14:47 /usr/lib64/libaugeas.so.0.0.0

> - is it fast and efficient ?

efficient in reusability and stability
fast? where do you need speed? ok, maybe with you 500k /etc/hosts file :)

> - does it work on many arches ?

all arches we support.

> - when will it be considered production ready ?

well, as of now, it is pretty stable.