python packaging - /usr/bin accessibility

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Mon May 5 14:54:00 UTC 2008

David Timms wrote:
> Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
>>>  1. the app has three main .py programs, and another 10 or so .py
>>> modules.
>>> My installed rpm puts these in site-packages/appname which I
>>> understand the
>>> guidelines to require. Problem is these are not accessible as a user
>>> because
>>> they aren't on the path.
>>>  So it works if I
>>> /usr/lib/python../site-packages/myapp/app1.py
>>>
>>>  Should I be messing with the path ?
>>>  Creating a shell script for each of the main programs, and dropping
>>> them in
>>> /usr/bin ?
>  > Put a tiny wrapper in /usr/bin
>  >
>  > [stalwart at delta ~]$ cat /usr/bin/pyuic4
>  > #!/bin/sh
>  >
>  > exec /usr/bin/python
>  > /usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/PyQt4/uic/pyuic.py ${1+"$@"}
>
> How can I auto select the appropriate lib64/lib path ?
> What does ${1+"$@"} mean ?
> Is $1 first parameter passed ?
>
> would pyuic4 --fred=bloggs -a -v freg.txt -o temp.file
> then call ?
> /usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/PyQt4/uic/pyuic.py  --fred=bloggs -a
> -v freg.txt -o temp.file
>
> DaveT.

lib64 is only needed, if you have installed binaries, which are arch specific.

$ python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()"
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages

$ python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib(1)"
/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages