FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon May 5 16:10:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 11:57 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 17:48 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>

> > This step is way over due. It also will teach maintainers not run the
> > autotools while building.
>
> Thats your personal preference.

Your liberty to think this.

> No need to force that on all of us.

How do you call SW that relies upon x years old bugs?
I call it poorly maintained.

How do you call projects who stick with antiquated tools and ignore many
years of development? I call them poorly maintained.

Or differently: Upstream projects which stick with these antiquated
versions are as poorly maintained and dead as projects written in KnR or
projects staying with gtk-1. - These projects have had many years to
update their code ... and failed. Now they've got to learn the hard way.

Ralf