MultilibTricks

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue May 6 04:24:54 UTC 2008

"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> writes:
> I found where the confusion is
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines:

> SHOULD: Usually, subpackages other than devel should require the base
> package using a fully versioned dependency.

> Note its a should and not a must.  I think a -libs subpackage is a
> clear counter example that doesn't fall in the 'usual' wording. I
> would daresay that usually, -libs subpackages don;t require the base
> package.

> Do we really need that SHOULD?  Or do we need to expand on it a little?

Indeed, in my experience the entire POINT of a -libs subpackage is that
it doesn't pull in the whole base package.  If it does, why are you
bothering to create a separate libs subpackage?  So the review guidelines
are indisputably broken here.

See also this closely-related thread on fedora-packaging, which
I just started today:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2008-May/msg00002.html

			regards, tom lane