FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue May 6 14:57:41 UTC 2008

On 05/05/2008 11:28 PM, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> In light of this, I have a proposal:
>
> We fix our specs to not use autoconf, and remove the old versions as
> stated, but we keep them around, perhaps in another branch in CVS or
> simply removed from the F10 tag. Then we just wait for complaints. If
> someone comes in and says "I was actively using that" we can just slap
> it back in. After one release cycle we can flush the rest.

I *am* actively using them.

In order to fix the compilation errors with
-Werror-implicit-function-declaration which we want to enable at some
point, I had to modify some .m4 files which meant re-generating
configure.  With autoconf213.

In order to fix compilation with some arches like ia64, s390, and sparc,
configure needed to be regenerated.  With autoconf213.

In order to write and test new configure args for --enable-system-foo,
configure needs to be regenerated.  With autoconf213.

etc.  etc.