Maintainer Responsibility Policy

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:12:29 UTC 2008

Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 07:26 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> <snip>
>> Brian, we probably want to list the ways to deal with bug reports in the
>> policy as many maintainers don't realize how many options there are for
>> getting help fixing a bug.
>
> Here's what I've got right now (from Kevin's suggestion) in the section
> regarding bugs:
>
> "If you find yourself unable to handle the load of bugs from your
> package(s), please ask for assistance on the fedora-devel and/or
> fedora-test lists. Teaching triagers about how to triage your bugs or
> getting help from other maintainers can not only reduce your load, but
> improve Fedora. Consider reaching out for some (more) co-maintainers to
> assist as well."

Yeah.  I think it's worthwhile to mention something like this:

"Even bugs that you aren't capable of fixing yourself because they deal
with intricacies of the source code that you don't have the knowledge to
fix deserve a few moments of your time.  You can report the bug upstream
for the user, ask for help from more code-oriented people on
fedora-devel, or check whether other distros have patches for the
problem.  Always be sure to post to the bug report what you have done so
that the reporter has a proper expectation of whether you're working on
a fix or if it's something that has to wait on upstream action."

-Toshio