Localisation needs to be improved

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue May 6 16:56:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 12:18 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Jens Petersen wrote:
> > Jeroen van Meeuwen ã•ã‚“ã¯æ›¸ãã¾ã—ãŸ:
> >> Let's make this into a Fedora 10 Proposed Feature:
> >>
> >> - an interface for system administrators to set the default language,
> >> like s-c-language does now, but extend it to tweak `locale`.
> >>
> >> - an interface for users to tweak they're own little private `locale`.
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea, I agree.
> >

> *doing*
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LocalePreferences
>
> Enlist and add your comments, ideas, proposals and changes!

I started doing so, but I think I'd rather send my comments here, since
a discussion is easier via mail.

1. '[...] will end up in all LC_* environment variables being set' - I
don't quite follow here. env | grep LC_ comes up empty for me, only LANG
is sent. Who is setting all the LC_ variables for you ?

2. 'Users should be able to adjust their LC_* preferences [...]' is far
to vague imo. What users can be expected to set, reasonably, is their
language and location. Anything beyond that, like picking a default
paper size or time format, seems to be much to specialized for a general
purpose capplet, and is much better done where it is needed (ie paper
size in the print dialog, time format in the clock).

3. Note that we are aiming more or less at obsoleting s-c-date with the
intlclock work.

4. There is some existing, unfinished code in gnome-control-center for a
'Locale' capplet, see
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-control-center/trunk/capplets/localization/

Matthias