FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu May 8 20:54:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 15:47:36 -0400,
  Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:

> I really don't think upstream has any real objections to moving to a more
> modern system, be it new autotools, or a different system altogether
> PROVIDED THEIR REQUIREMENTS ARE MET.  The big requirement that nobody has
> solved yet is "must work in every case and on every platform it does now".
> I don't know whether cmake is as portable as gmake is, but you're free to
> discuss that with them.

One project that is trying to change away from autotools is Wesnoth. They
are in the process of implementing scons and cmake build systems and will
later choose between them for going forward. Currently scons is pretty
complete. The cmake implementation was doing some stuff, but there were still
some important missing pieces.
So in another month or two, you might be able to get an informed opinion
from those guys. And people do build Wesnoth on Windows so there is some
signifcant cross platform testing.