annoying spam

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri May 9 06:59:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 18:07 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Luya Tshimbalanga
> <luya at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have received email from spammer pretending to come from Red Hat. I include
> > the message source so someone can check the origin. It would be nice if there
> > is a mail that address spam and phising issue.
>
> This came to your fedoraproject.org address, and was thus handled by
> Red Hat.  No news here, move on :).  You can use abuse@ pretty much
> any domain and it should reach a person.

I don't think the spammer was pretending to come from Red Hat. I'm
fairly sure that '@redhat.com' you see in the From: address was added by
Red Hat's machines -- the original just said 'From: Top.SEO.Secrets'.

The Red Hat machines probably should have rejected the RFC2822-invalid
mail, but instead they accepted it and even qualified the address
'Top.SEO.Secrets', rewriting it to appear 'Top.SEO.Secrets at redhat.com'.
And then sent it on to you, since it was sent to your @fedoraproject.org
address.

--