what's the brief grand-plan for java ?

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri May 9 16:59:06 UTC 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
>> That's right.  On some systems the advantage of precompilation could
>> be considerable.  At the moment, though, LLVM looks more promising.
>
> More important than compilation model in my mind is if we want to
> continue supporting GCJ, is for it to use the OpenJDK class library;

That is a big task.  The simplest way to do it, I suspect, is to enable
the OpenJDK runtime to load gcj classes rather than to adapt the OpenJDK
class library to gcj.  This sounds rather counter-intuitive, but the
interface between class library and virtual machine is not at all
portable or well-documented, and it is complex.

> when I tried GCJ in the past I had problems with incompleteness or
> bugs in Classpath, I never had an issue with the way code was
> generated.

I agree.

Andrew.