F9 (bug?) Superblock features different from backup

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sat May 10 21:59:38 UTC 2008

Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Hi,
> Just installed F9 preview and updated to latest. Rebooted everything was
> fine. Today, I booted the system again, played with it for a few hours,
> then I rebooted to test the "i915.modeset" (which is hyper cool thanks:)
> Now when the machine came up, I got:
> Primary superblock features different from backup: Check forced
> This was on the root filesystem. It checked the FS, and finally said "**
> Rebooting Linux **", at this stage I was fairly scared .. it looked like
> a serious problem!
> However, Fedora rebooted and it came up just fine!
>
> Well, I have no idea what just happened

It should be fine.

Most recent e2fsprogs enforces that feature flags in backups match those
on the primary.

Problem is, the kernel sets things on the fly, but does not update the
backups.  This is ... annoying... because then it causes the full fsck.

I'm a little surprised that it did check though, because for now I have
F9 carrying a patch to actually *disable* this test, because otherwise
any F8->F9 upgrade would cause a full fsck just for this reason, which I
think is overly aggressive.

But, anyway, you should be fine now, and it shouldn't happen again.  :)

-Eric