Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 11 08:01:29 UTC 2008

George Billios wrote:
> Hi All,

> Now its too late to change anything but I would appreciate some input
> here because it's a big deal to ship with a development version of one
> of the most important components.

Addressing the broader topic, it is not really a big deal to ship
"development" versions of core components (along with backported
patches). Fedora has in the past included development versions of
OpenOffice.org and even the kernel Fedora 9 will also include a "beta"
version/ development snapshot of Firefox 3 and so has other
distributions with similar release cycles .

Even enterprise releases include alpha/beta components if they are
deemed stable enough by the developers maintainers and upstream projects
themselves advice that in various occasions. Combining upstream input,
maintainer experience with the amount of feedback from users/testers
that we get from including these components early in the release cycle,
we can sufficiently gauge whether to include them in the general release
or not. What really matters is not the alpha/beta/development labels but
the actual stability of the release which can be measured by the number
of bugs reported, specific patches etc. So unless you have reported
major issues, I wouldn't worry.

Rahul