Fedora and JPackage proprietary JDK shims

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun May 11 08:44:40 UTC 2008

On Saturday 03 May 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Yes the java-sun-compat package is the missing piece.

On the subject of java-sun-compat in JPackage, it has been the last package
I've maintained there for the last several months.  But it has also been
quite a while since I've actually used it myself and as always, I don't plan
to maintain stuff I don't use in the long term, and I've actually announced
my retirement from JPackage a few minutes ago.

I gather there are quite a few users of the java-*-sun-compat packages,
they're a pretty trivial bunch to maintain, and there hasn't been much
interest among active JPackage contributors towards them in the past (no idea
if that has changed since).  So I'd encourage people who like to see them
available and up to date and who have time to help out with them to get in
touch with the JPackage folks.

> Whether it's
> actually included in fedora or not isn't particularly important, but its
> location should be documented and there have been long intervals of time
> when no jpackage.org support existed for current fedora revisions.

java-*-sun-compat should be unaffected by that as they live in the "generic"
JPackage repositories.