Fedora and JPackage proprietary JDK shims

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Mon May 12 13:47:07 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Colin Walters wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, that's what was under discussion, or at least it's what I
>>> thought Les wanted.
>>>
>> I know Les mentioned the nosrc rpms in the same email as he
>> complained that Fedora wasn't shipping something that he felt was
>> necessary for java-on-Fedora.  So I thought it best to have that
>> clarified.
>
> Yes the java-sun-compat package is the missing piece.  Whether it's
> actually included in fedora or not isn't particularly important, but
> its location should be documented and there have been long intervals
> of time when no jpackage.org support existed for current fedora
> revisions. My impression was that this was intentional on fedora's
> part but perhaps that was mistaken.

I think we need to re-gage this after we're a bit into F9 general
availability. The open source alternatives to Java have gotten much,
much better this go round, and many of the early adopters I've talked to
have said their java issues have gone completely away. We need to figure
out what role proprietary java will now play in the lives of our users.

--CJD