Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon May 12 17:31:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 19:17 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le lundi 12 mai 2008 à 13:03 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 14:29 -0400, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> >
> > > A page detailing the reasons for keeping the exception is now up on the
> > > wiki:
> > >
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DeepakBhole/ReasonsForKeepingJPP
> >
> > Deepak, thanks for writing that up. Seth Vidal has helped me come up
> > with a technical solution that should meet the requirements described in
> > your document.
> >
> > http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/exclude-by-group/
> >
> > This is a very simple yum plugin that enables the user to exclude by RPM
> > Group tag.
>
> Uh, that's pretty hideous, I thought we were working hard at killing the
> group tag altogether, not adding new deps on it. Plus before it works it
> would require a full rebuild of the java repository to put the right
> group on every package.

Yeah, but we'd want that rebuild anyways to drop the .jpp tag. I'm not
convinced that this is any more "hideous" than the .jpp release naming
exception (in fact, I think it is far nicer).

> Can't yum use the Vendor tag instead? That wouldn't be such a kludge,
> and I think Vendor already identifies a unique repository provider in
> existing packages.

Unfortunately, in Fedora packages, Vendor gets set to Fedora Project for
everything, which wouldn't help in excluding the Java JPackage derived
packages living in Fedora.

~spot