Changing things in long-closed bugs?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 12 18:54:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 13:48 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> I've received several emails from bugzilla now about the severity,
> product, etc. being changed on bugs I'm the reporter or a CC on.  These
> are bugs that have been closed for a while (1-2 years or more).  Does
> this (a) really need to be changed and (b) really need to send email?

Here is what happened.

The Triage folks are closing out old trackers, for say Fedora Core
4/5/etc...  These trackers are done, not used anymore, and should be
closed.  However in bugzilla code, whenever you modify a tracker bug (IE
a bug that depends on other bugs) it will send mail to the people
attached to every bug it depends upon.  Add to that some staged changes
that are in place for Bugzilla so that the next time some bugs are poked
it'll do the conversions of priorities and products, you wind up
triggering that for a number of older bugs.

Yes this is bothersome, and yes it's some spam.  But it's somewhat
unavoidable due to how we use bugzilla and just the built up cruft of
unclosed trackers and constantly being a bit schizophrenic about
priorities, severity, and the name of Red Hat Linux/Fedora Core/Fedora.

This will only get "better" in the future as we manage our tracker bugs
better and hopefully don't go about renaming the product again.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!