Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon May 12 20:38:16 UTC 2008

seth vidal (skvidal at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > What I'm reading is that JPackage developers want to not use anything
> > in Fedora that also exists in JPackage.
> >
> > Isn't this better done by repo costs and similar plugins, rather
> > than hacks either in the package version or vendor which can
> > be easily fooled?
>
> repo costs only work for exact-matches of the package nevra - not
> partial matches.
>
> So one way or another you have to do this via a plugin.

Sure, but using the *actual* data they want (which repository
it came from) versus an approximation of that data (using
a 'jpp' release tag, a specific 'Group' tag, or a specific
'Vendor' tag) seems to be the appropriate answer. You may
need something like 'protectbase', or repository priorities,
instead of cost, but the repository seems to be the better
place to solve it rather than the individual packages.

That being said, wanting to swap out large portions of the
releases' stack willy-nilly is still kind of nuts.

Bill