Dell Laptop

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Tue May 13 14:29:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 13:08 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Actually, to make this thread at least a little bit on topic (you know,
> this is fedora-devel, not fedora list), I have to continue on my line
> about superheros -- to my biggest satisfaction John Linville made my
> BCM4318 working in the late F8 (or was it really early F9/Rawhide; I am
> not sure). I am quite sure it needs a lot more stabilization and testing
> (which makes it a topic here) but I think you can try to get it. Of
> course, if you prefer your notebook to be more likely to just work (and I
> had my fair chance of problems with iwl3945 as well), then Intel chips are
> much more supported.

Might have made a different choice if had known more about what was
better supported than I knew.  I ended up getting a Gateway M-1625 Sat
night, and seems fine.  Cept it uses Realtek for wired and wireless.
Wired works like a champ, but wireless is hit and miss. I got a built
module from atrpms.net and it works OK, but not continuous like in Vista
or a more supported one.  Although I think from a bug I was shown, that
it's getting better supported and hopefully soon will be in kernel and
working fine.

I am on wireless so far as I type (not holding my breath though).

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302 at fedoraproject.org