rhgb no more

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed May 14 06:10:09 UTC 2008

Ray Strode wrote:

> One thing you will soon notice in F10 rawhide is that rhgb is no
> longer around.  We've blocked it and plan on replacing it for F10.

Woohoo!

> This is a continuation of our "BetterStartup" feature from a few
> Fedoras ago (I would post a link but the wiki seems to be down).  The
> replacement for rhgb will be a mixture of two things:
>
> 1) Starting gdm as early as possible and fitting it to give boot
> progress before asking for login.   This is somewhat in line with the
> early-login prototype feature some of you may remember from several
> fedora releases ago.

It may be too early to ask about that, but from a theming/artwork point
of view, is correct my understanding that this will be one piece less to
theme?
I expect we will have the during the progress the same background image
as GDM (which uses the same image as the default desktop) and a progress
bar made with GTK+. Maybe a panel (also made with GTK+?) to hold the
progress bar? A splash image? Some icons from the default icon theme?
Additional animations?