Anyone else with hard freezes?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Wed May 14 14:20:29 UTC 2008

Dr. Diesel wrote:
> All, it is possible that all of these freezes are caused by a failing
> hard drive?  Perhaps failed during the upgrade from F8 to F9 and its
> only 3 months old!! Mmmmm, just my luck!
>
> Last night I suddenly began to receive Kerneloops after Kerneloops,
> 4-5 total then it hard locked.  When I went to reboot I got the error
> couldn't find /sys /root etc, couldn't find any of the logical
> volumes.  I tried rebooting it several times and finally it made it to
> doing an automatic fsck that fails at about 4%.  SMART says the HD is
> fine.

Note that the overall SMART health status is near useless. What you
should do is look at the disk error log :

# smartctl -l error /dev/sda

and run a short and/or long self test (short is couple of mins, long is
typically 1 to 2 hours):

# smartctl -t long /dev/sda
# smartctl -t short /dev/sda

Results of the self test after completion:

# smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

You may want to do this from a live CD if your system is really unstable.